Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Exercise 1.7 - Research Proposal (on One Knee =)

Focusing Question: What defines or constitutes marriage?

Primary Purpose:

Exploring:

  • How does the government view/define marriage?
  • What is/are the religious aspect(s) of marriage?
  • How do most Americans view marriage these days?
  • What are the reasons why people marry?
  • How does a person's past affect their view of marriage?
  • What is the divorce rate verses the marriage rate?
  • What constitutes a healthy marriage?

Argue: Marriage is a special, emotional bond between a man and a woman that should not be broken.

Analyze: I think that Americans generally view marriage too lightly these days and do not take is seriously. I want to find out if this is true and how often it is true. Because there are so many divorces, I think that my theory is correct, but I may be surprised when I start researching and interviewing people.

Assumptions, Beliefs, Preconceptions, Ideas, &/or Prejudices:

I assume that not many people share my view of marriage. I believe that marriage is the sacred union between one man and one woman. I believe that it is more than a legal contract. It is a special, unique emotional bond between one man and one woman. I believe that divorce is not an option. I do not agree with the way that gay men and lesbian women behave and live. I find it rather disgusting and offensive. I do not think it is natural or the way marriage was intended. I do not see the point since it is impossible to naturally reproduce. If men and women were supposed to have intimate relationships with their own sex, why don't animals do this, too?

No comments: